Fellow Jaffa Cake fan Colin Chapman lives his life by the motto – There is no promise of tomorrow – and with that thought he makes the most of every day. He is a brilliant father to his three children – Jazzy, Carly and Bobby. Colin grew up in a small town in Essex and was raised by two loving parents whom he adores and credits for installing in him the qualities he now uses to raise his own children and deal with everyday life. He’s mega busy right now marketing his first novel and working on his second which is due out the end of Summer, still the man found time to sit down and do this interview.
1. What are you working on now?
I am currently working on my second book as well as continuing to raise my profile on social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook. There are still lots of marketing and PR jobs to do with my First novel Cold Call, which has been received really well. I am due to be featured in Paul Raymond’s Mayfair and Club Magazines, as well as getting to the finals of the ‘Peoples book prize’.
2. Can you tell us a little something about it?
My second book is called ‘Skull’duggery, although this is just a working title at the moment. We aim to have it on sale towards the end of the summer, so there is a lot of hard work to go through yet. Essentially the story picks up on something I read in a true crime book about Fred West. It was a small gem that piqued my interest and ironically something that any of us could face in our everyday lives. I am going to expand on that one tiny fact and hopefully produce a hard hitting , dark, sexy crime thriller that will definitely get tongues wagging.
3. Tell us, why do you write? Where do you draw your inspiration from?
I started writing about three years ago and initially I did it just to see if I could. I love to challenge myself and push my abilities, it keeps me sharp. I have a passion for true crime, so I guess that is where all the dark stuff comes from! As for the sexual aspect of my work … well you will just have to figure that out for yourselves!!
4. When I write, I require Jaffa cakes (and lots of them), do you have a writing must-have?
SILENCE….shhhh. peace and quiet. I cannot focus with any noise or distractions!
5. What is your favourite book?
The Oxford Thesaurus ….well ok, Probably Dan Brown’s The Lost Symbol.
6. Which author’s career, alive or passed on, do you admire most, and why?
I am not really that much of a reader to be honest. I really like Jessie Keane though. I like her characters and the gritty settings.
7. Tell us something about yourself…an annoying habit or party trick perhaps? Can you speak a foreign language or have a hobby?
I am a fire breather! I can walk on stilts too…and I love fancy dress!!
8. Do you have a blog, website or social networking account people can go to if they wish to learn more about you or your work?
twitter is ColinLChapman Author @ColinLChapman
Cold Call is available on Amazon as either paperback or kindle.
9. What are your writing plans for 2015?
Finish book two and start piecing together my third book.
10. And now, for the most important question of all: Jaffa cakes – love them or hate them?
I could eat two packets in one sitting so that is a big YES from me!
To follow Colin and his work please use the links below:
His debut novel Cold Call is available on Amazon
Colin is a talented author and person and it was a pleasure to interview him whilst he’s working on his second novel. Plus he’s a fire breather, how cool is that?!